Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Following


A friend and I recently went hiking at a big and somewhat confusingly-labeled forest reservation. At the beginning, we agreed that he would be in charge of keeping track of where we were going and how to get back to the park entrance. For me, it was such a luxury to not worry at every trail crossing which way to turn. When I'm hiking alone, I stick to familiar routes and constantly mentally rehearse the path I've taken and the way home. In that, I don't relax and enjoy the peace and beauty of the woods. With him leading, the hike was much more enjoyable (for me) and we got to see some cool new spots I wouldn't have ventured to find on my own.

That is, I think, how God wants my walk with him to look. When I allow him to lead, the journey is peaceful even if there's difficult, rocky terrain. If I try to keep myself on the right path alone, I will never take risks for the kingdom; I'll miss the joy of seeing God accomplishing great things where I saw only opportunities for failure. 

There is freedom in following the One who knows the way:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment