Monday, July 4, 2011

happy independence day

Two things I'd like to say on America's birthday.


One--those of us who live in America are blessed with lots of freedom, as we like to celebrate.  Most notably to me we've got the first amendment freedoms: religion, speech, assembly, press, petition (though the rest of the Bill of Rights is important too, I need that second amendment so I can hunt!).  What do we do, though, with those freedoms?  For freedom of speech, I mostly just grumble when I don't like something the government does.  What if, instead, I actually spoke out against unjust conditions, rules, or laws I see in my communities?  In thinking about religious freedom, do I make the most of it? How can I use my freedom to worship God on behalf of those who are persecuted for their faith?  I don't know, but I'm going to head over to the Voice of the Martyrs website and get some ideas.  Passively enjoying American liberties is nice, but I want to make a little more impact than that.


Two--Truly, I'm grateful for political freedom.  Really, though, political freedom is nothing compared to freedom in Christ!  Knowing that I'm not going to get arrested for making fun of the PA governor's hoarse smoker voice is not nearly as valuable as knowing that when God looks at me he see's Jesus blood and doesn't hold my sin against me.  In America I don't live in fear of secret police torturers (yet), but in Christ I don't live in fear of Satan's accusations.  Worth celebrating? I think yes.

1 comment:

  1. Happy American Day!!

    +1 for being blessed in America. I think we are all given a great gift of so much freedom

    ReplyDelete