Lately I've been running on a nearby woodsy sort of trail, and every time I'm struck by the amount of green. There is just such an overflow of plants and life, I cannot help but be amazed by God's creation and abundance. It makes sense why he called things good in Genesis 1.
Then I read the news, about the food shortage in the Horn of Africa. I see a homeless man asking for money outside Walmart. How do I reconcile God's abundant and good creation which I can see and experience with the hunger and need I also see? As far as I can figure, God who loves each person so intensely would not create a world where there are not enough resources for the population.
Check out this map, the world calorie consumption average is higher than the needed 2000 kcal/day. The fact that the average is so high means that there are enough calories to go around. Distribution is the problem, not supply.
| http://ehistory.osu.edu/osu/origins/maps.cfm?articleid=38 |
I guess my reconciliation of the clash, God's goodness versus starving people, is human greed. Many of us eat way more calories than we need, consume way more energy than we need, and are generally wasteful. The choices we make in the short and long term determine global wealth and food distribution. God is good, but in our sin we sabotage his beautiful world and destroy each other.
No comments:
Post a Comment