That's usually the first question I ask when I meet someone new.
It's not a terrible question. The answer might reflect something of the person's gifts and passions, but it might not.
What if the person is not proud of their current job? Maybe they are just doing what they need to in order to pay bills. Or, what if they are sick or disabled and unable to work? What if they simply can't find a job?
In those cases, my opening get-to-know-you question isn't very good. It doesn't provide the person a chance to share something positive about who they are. It might make them feel ashamed.
So I decided I need some new opening questions which don't seem to equate a person's identity to their job.
Maybe I will try some of these--
-Where are you from?
-What is something you are looking forward to right now?
-How do you like to spend your free time?
-Where would you like to travel?
-Who do you look up to?
Maybe those questions are too invasive for introductory conversations. I think I will try them and see.
No comments:
Post a Comment