Last week on the T (Boston subway), two college girls were sitting nearby, talking loudly so I couldn't help but overhear when one of them whined, "Yesterday I got home from class and there was nothing in the apartment to drink except alcohol."
At first I was irate. Nothing to drink? What about the clean water coming from all the sinks in your house? Inwardly I fumed, "How much do those girls spend per month on beverages? It's all luxury spending. Ridiculous." But then I asked myself, "Do I drink only water all the time? Or am I luxurious in my beverage choices also?"
The answer is that I drink coffee every single day. Before this incident on the T, I was a little proud of myself (shame on me!) for mostly brewing it at home instead of buying it from Starbucks. Drinking coffee makes me feel good, but feeling good is not the purpose of my life. These girls showed me that I can do better if I truly want to use God's resources for real global good rather than transitory personal pleasure.
According to UNICEF here (and agreed by some other sources I checked), 768 million people (about twice the population of the US) don't have access to safe drinking water and 2.5 billion people (about twice the population of China) don't have adequate sanitation.
Drinking coffee, or soda, or anything else in moderation is not inherently bad. However, people gaining access to clean water and sanitation, or vaccinations, or education and sustainable livelihoods, is immeasurably better. How can I say I follow Jesus yet ignore the desperate needs of fellow humans?
If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warm and filled," without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? (James 1:15-16)
So, for Lent, I am going to drink no coffee. At the end, I will give the money I would have spent to Compassion International for their water projects. I want to keep the practice up after Lent, identifying and correcting areas of excess (unrealized giving opportunities!) in my lifestyle. Remind me.
I dare you to join me! For Lent and maybe beyond, give up something extra, and instead give the money to meet a legitimate need. Replace momentary satisfaction with authentic joy. And let me know how it goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment