The other night, my roomie and I were sitting at the dinner table, and I was rambling out loud about journeying and friendships since moving to Boston.
With typical denseness I said something about my choosing to keep investing heavily in relationships from college is correspondingly holding me back from forming deep friendships here. And she gave me a "duh" look and said, "Yeah, I could have told you six months ago that you were doing that."
Why didn't you? Oh why didn't you say something? We are disciples of Jesus, here for each other in community, to help each other through the blind spots, and no one is more blind than me.
But the story has a hopeful ending because it opened up a conversation about something deeper than washing the dinner dishes. Now she is borrowing a John Piper book she saw me reading, and I am learning that if others don't up front tell me the mistakes I'm making, they're usually happy to tell me if I ask with a soft heart.
Please always tell me, sisters and brothers, with truth and love, the weaknesses you see in me, the detours and the stumbling, point me back to the true Way. So then, we will all be transformed more and more to the image of Christ through his power, to his glory and our joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment