Home is a tricky concept. I used to think it was where you slept at night, but then I went away to college. Home still meant where my family was, and where I slept at night was just a dorm. So home came to mean where the people are that one loves. Throughout college, deep friendships developed. I came to have two real homes, one with family and one with school friends.
Last year I graduated and moved to Boston, so now an apartment is where I sleep at night. I still had two homes, family-home and college-home, since lots of university friends were in 5 year programs or are younger students. Many of my friends graduated this past weekend, and they are moving all over the place. A visit to Rochester will no longer guarantee seeing as many good friends at the same time, which struck me unexpectedly as a felt loss.
This also highlighted for me how far I have to go before Boston really feels like home. My roommate and I have a great home-friendship, but that is because we knew each other long before Boston.
Deep relationships take so much time and effort and growing pains to develop. What I want sometimes is just to live comfortably in the same location and only talk to people who already know me! But living that way doesn't allow the love and glory of the gospel to be shared with anyone who hasn't received it, so its no good.
Ok, Boston, let's keep working on being friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment