Friday, July 27, 2012

One Month Anniversary!



It's hard to believe that I've already been at my new job in a new city for a whole month, very exciting.

So far, I am enjoying the city. It's the number 21 US city by population, so it doesn't feel overwhelming. Walking or riding the T brings me anywhere I need to go, without taking all day to travel. There's so much history and character in the various neighborhoods, it even makes up for the lack of Wegman's.

About the reason I moved to Boston--work is amazing! Lately there has been lots of press coverage of HIV because of the XIX International AIDS Conference, held this week in D.C. The PI (principle investigator, aka head guy) and another doctor from the lab I work in have been featured in some articles (like this one) discussing potentially cured HIV patients. Two people with cancer received treatments which knocked out their immune cells, while on HIV meds. After receiving transplants which re-established their immune cells (to cure their cancer), no trace of HIV can be found using the most sensitive tests available. However, the patients are still on their HIV meds, so it is definitely premature to say they're cured (silly media, over-simplifying as always). There's a good chance the virus might come back if they go off their treatment, but it would be really awesome if it was truly gone!


Everyone in the lab is super smart, but they're also really kind and helpful. Dr. Henrich (mentioned in the article) gave me advice on some puzzling data while my boss was away. My boss is great as well; he never makes me feel stupid although the technique I'm doing most is completely new to me and I make mistakes sometimes. I am so glad for the chance to work with HIV, and with such wonderful people.

Of course, I miss family in PA and friends in Rochester (and all over the place)--you are welcome to come visit soon! But people from RIT who are in Boston now have been generous with their time and made me feel really welcome. Best of all, I'll soon have an apartment with a close friend from home in PA. One month in Boston has been delightful, I'm looking forward to those to come.


1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you had a blog?!! I'm glad you're enjoying Boston! <3 you!

    ReplyDelete